Friday, January 8, 2016

My trip preparation

How do I survive abroad? Here are some tips for my trip preparation:

1. Read Lonely Planet, at least flipping over to estimate the time to spend and roughly what to see - well it depends on destination. I don't use LP for Asia Pacific destinations, at least not relying as a major source. I usually borrow it from the library (or you may pay for a pdf copy) because I don't want to keep the used book at home. I also read LP when I am on the road for more basic information like the history, transportation and food of the country.

2. Book accommodation, depending on the number of companion, budget and nevertheless the most important thing is location to major attractions. It could save a lot of time and effort to get around to stay at a convenient location, usually near train or bus terminal. Staying at hostels could be fun if I am traveling alone where I can meet adventurous and easy-going friends, and of course saving some bucks.

3. If I have time (!), I may read travel blogs. They give you first-hand experience what is actually going on at the destination, usually with pictures.

Few things that I usually do at my travel destination: looking at postcards, visiting supermarket and talking to locals.

4. Postcards give you perfect idea where the best scenes are, at great photogenic angle. 

5. Shopping at local supermarket is a great experience. It helps me to know the variety of local gourmet (and the real local price index). Sometimes you may find something special as souvenirs.

6. Interacting with locals is fun. Try to learn few words in local language to break the ice. You could know more about the local custom and insight, perhaps making new friends!


No comments: